The wait to see who the Pittsburgh Penguins will face in the first round of the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs is over. After the Ottawa Senators defeated the Boston Bruins 4-2 tonight in Boston, they moved ahead to seventh seed in the Eastern Conference. Therefore, the New York Islanders moved down to eighth, which means that they will face the Penguins in the first round. This will be the Islanders’ first appearance in the playoffs since the 2006-07 season when they lost to the Buffalo Sabres in the quarterfinals. The Penguins and Islanders have not met in the postseason since David Volek knocked out the Penguins in the overtime period of Game 7 in the 1993 Division Finals. The loss to the Islanders prevented Pittsburgh from winning their third straight Stanley Cup. New York has not won a playoff series since then, however.
January 29, 2013: NYI 4 PIT 1
February 5, 2013: PIT 4 NYI 2
March 10, 2013: NYI 1 PIT 6
March 22, 2013: PIT 4 NYI 2
March 30, 2013: NYI 0 PIT 2
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Penguins (36-12-0) went 4-1 against the Islanders (24-17-7) when the two teams met this season.
- Pittsburgh outscored New York 17-9 in the season series.
- Both teams did well in their final ten games of the regular season as the Penguins went 8-2 while the Islanders went 6-1-3.
- The Penguins did a great job shutting down John Tavares, the Islanders’ top scorer this season, by only limiting him to 2 points in 5 games. Matt Moulson registered a goal and 3 assists against Pittsburgh in the 5 games this season.
- Sidney Crosby scored more points against the Islanders than any other team in the Eastern Conference in 2013. Crosby had 9 assists in the 5 games and even missed the majority of the final meeting because of a broken jaw. Chris Kunitz also fared well against New York as he registered 4 goals and 4 assists in the 5 meetings.
- Pascal Dupuis scored 5 goals and added an assist in the five meetings between the Penguins and Islanders this season.
- Islanders’ goaltender Evgeni Nabokov started each meeting against the Penguins this season and recorded a 1-4 record, 3.04 goals against average and .893 save-percentage.
- Marc-Andre Fleury made two appearances against the Islanders this season, recording a 1-1 record with a 3.60 goals against average and .882 save-percentage. Tomas Vokoun saw the majority of playing time in net for the Penguins against the Islanders in 2013, registering a 3-0 record in 4 games. Vokoun recorded a shutout in one meeting and of the 101 shots Vokoun faced against New York, he only let in 3 of them.
The full schedule of the playoff series will be announced around 11:00 PM. Stay tuned!